A fire was reported inside the Shields Packaging Company, located at 50 Oxford Avenue in Dudley, on Friday morning. Crews from Dudley, Webster and Oxford were dispatched just after 8AM. At least 1 person was transported to UMASS Medical Center suffering from burns. His condition is currently not known. The fire was extinguished quickly by employees before firefighters arrived.
In 2016 another worker was injured at the same packaging plant when an aerosol container exploded. OSHA records show that the company was fined over $300,000 in recent years.
Shields Packaging has been in business since 1956 with a second location in Chino, California. The company houses several chemicals and other toxic items used in automotive, industrial and household applications.