Microwave Sparks Deadly Sturbridge Fire


Sturbridge Fire Department

A fire that claimed the life of a Sturbridge woman on Sunday likely began in a microwave.  The blaze broke out on Fairgrounds Road, but whether the microwave was faulty, or the food inside the microwave ignited is still under investigation.

The State Fire Marshal, Worcester District Attorney’s Office, Sturbridge Fire Department and Sturbridge Police Department were on scene on Sunday afternoon.

The elderly woman, whose name has not been released, was rescued from the apartment but later died at a local hospital.  Mutual aid from Brimfield, Brookfield, Southbridge and Spencer were brought in to help extinguish the fire.